Monday, September 1, 2008

Sister-Brother-Sister


The title of this post explains this picture - Kyle was reunited with his sisters, Tanya and Luba! Or as Kyle says, "Booba"!

We received an unexpected e-mail from our facilitator in Ukraine last Tuesday afternoon. The e-mail was to tell us that Tanya and Luba had been in America all summer long on a hosting program, staying with Heidi and Felix. After spending time with the girls, they had decided to work on adopting Tanya and Luba. My heart sank, and little did I know that around the same time I received this e-mail, Heidi and Felix were also receiving the news that WE had been working on adopting the girls. The girls mentioned to Heidi that they had a brother who had been adopted by a family in the states, so Heidi had worked all summer on trying to find us, but with no avail.

What makes this situation hard is that all along we believed (what we were told by their school director) that the girls were at a summer camp in Ukraine....I never imagined they would be here, so close. Tanya and Luba have had 10 weeks in Colorado with Heidi and Felix; two wonderful people that have grown close to the girls. What to do? This is such a hard situation to be in for both families, and it is unfortunate that all of us were kept in the dark about a lot of things.

We found this out last Tuesday (a week ago), and the girls were leaving back for Ukraine that Thursday. So - Heidi and Felix invited us up to spend Wednesday with the girls so that Kyle could have that time with them. After packing our bags late afternoon, we headed to the airport for a late flight out. We enjoyed our visit thouroughly. The girls are precious, and I know they were excited to see their brother.

We (both families) agree that Tanya and Luba should be with their brother...it is only logical to keep a family together, right? It is not that easy, and I know while we absolutely want to adopt Tanya and Luba, they have already formed that "parent-child" bond with Heidi and Felix, but want to be with their brother. All I can say at this point is, this has to be one of the hardest situations that both families are going through, and very tough for Tanya and Luba as well.

We are supposed to leave in a week and a half to make our SDA appt. We will still be going to Ukraine as planned and hope that everything works out. We can't wait to be with the girls again! I truely think we have come across this path for a reason. I don't know what that reason is yet, but there is one thing that we have taken from this experience which is important to note:

We will be forever grateful to Heidi and Felix, for the sacrifice they have made so that Tanya, Luba, and Kyle can be together again. This sacrifice will not be forgotten.


12 comments:

Stephanee&Zach said...

Hi Joy, Wow, what an incredible chain of events - I can only imagine what emotions you all must be going through. My heart breaks for the sadness that I'm sure you all feel from the girls leaving Heidi and Felix. As a host parent so close to adopting 'our girls', every day I know that we could find something out like this that would make it impossible for them to come home to us. It may not help the emotions for everyone right now, but I know, as I'm sure you all do, that these children do not belong to us (even if we had birthed them) but to the Lord and that His plan is greater than our finite minds can imagine. And He loves them perfectly.

So while I' know it is a difficult situation, more than anything I am so filled with joy at how the Lord has provided so perfectly for these girls. First, He placed them in a home for the summer where they were loved and protected from possible pain in Ukraine. They were taught English and learned what it was like to be in a family. While they may grieve their lost relationship with the Roge's, I truly believe that ultimately they will adjust to your home much more quickly due to the time that they had this summer in a loving family than they otherwise would have. And it is so amazing to me that God sent them to this particular family that was willing to let them go with their blessing to where the Lord wanted them to be. Surely that attitude communicated from them will help the girls as well. They must also be ecstatic to be reunited with their brother as well!!! What a blessing you were able to spend that day together!!! I am just so excited about all this and it is so clear that God just put all these plans and details together, possibly for more reasons that anyone can ever fathom. There is pain in the process but of course there always is with adoption. But the beauty of what is happenning is just incredible!!

I am sorry for writing so long - don't feel like you have to post this if you don't want. I didn't mean to say all this, but when I started typing it just kinda came out. I almost just deleted it all b/c I feel like maybe I am overstepping bounds saying all this, but I hope it doesn't seem that way. I am just excited for you guys but know that there are many emotions involved!!'

Will be praying for ya'll as you prepare to leave! Is Kyle going with you?

Stephanee

Mauzy Fam said...

That is absolutely crazy!! How wonderful for the girls to be wanted by two great families, and at the same time stressful for them I'm sure. I hope it all turns out fine! I'm sure this all happenend for a reason. Good luck.

Pixel Fairy Princess said...

OMG - What a tough situations. I will be praying for you and for Heidi 's family. I think that last image says it all and looks like everyone made the best decision ~ even though it is very difficult. Good luck and take care.
Ladybug hugs,
;D

Kathy and Matt said...

What joyful images to see these 3 siblings together!

We will be praying for your family and for Heidi & Felix. We've been following both blogs and know how emotionally hard this must be.

Thanks for sharing a couple of pictures of the kids together.

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

What an amazing story!! It is wonderful that Heidi and Felix have made the best decision for the girls. That doesn't mean that the girls (and now Kyle) still couldn't benefit from a couple more "aunts and uncles." I wish you the best in this situation.

Heidi and Felix said...

Hi Joy & Ken, hi everyone. Yep, that last picture says it all. We are so happy for the Rae family, especially Tanya, Booba, and Kyle. We tried all summer to find Kyle, and the Lord brought us all together the very last day! Wow, I am still amazed at his works!

Felix & Heidi

Anonymous said...

Wow I bet the news that they were right there turned your world upside down, I am so glad you got to have time with the three of them and hopefully soon it will be permanant. What a special family they were with to be so open and inviting. I am so glad it seems like it will all work out now! Goodluck with everything!

molly said...

I have goosebumps. That is an amazing story. Heavenly Father has a plan for each of us. Things work out as they should. Our continued prayers are with all of you!

Jonelle said...

awww I cant wait to see them!!!!!!!

Love Jonelle!!!

Snort said...

WOW- now that's a story...

Loni Rae said...

Would you believe I still get tears when I read of the rightous loving act of Heidi and Felix. What more could our Savior have done than to have them with such a family for 10 weeks. I would want them to know our love and prayers for them as a family.

We are so looking forward to knowing Tanya and Booba and being a grandmother and father to them. It will be fun to have Kyle here for the week end. We love you. Grandma and Grandpa Rae

Ken and Joy said...

Thank you all for your comments! We really appreciate everyone's love and support!