Monday, September 22, 2008

Tanya's Groupa

SUNDAY

Today we were able to go for a walk. We walked down the main road to look at all the shops, and street vendors. It was COLD today and very windy. This took up most of our morning, and then we went back to the apartment to prepare to go see the girls. We decided to get them a pizza today for lunch as something different. Tanya and Luba are always a little shy when we first get there, but after about an hour the entire pizza was gone! We were able to see Tanya’s “home” and groupa today….very different atmosphere from Luba’s. In Luba’s “home” there were girls and boys running around all over the place, giggling and being loud, grabbing things out of my hands, and talking to us!

When we first walked into Tanya’s area, most of her groupa were watching a movie. They all turned around to stare at the “Americans” for about 5 seconds and then they were back to the movie! I got a bag of candy out for Tanya to pass out to them and they were all quick to grab it and then with out a sound, they were back into the movie! Oh well, I tried. Here is a picture of their backsides…it was the best I could do!

Tanya’s teacher was there, and she knew a little English so we talked to her for a few minutes. She wanted to show us their “home”…I can say that she is very proud of their home and loves Tanya! Here is a picture of Tanya’s bedroom and classroom:



This picture is of a boy who is also part of Tanya’s groupa. It is not a very clear photo but he did tell us that he wants to go to America….this is the hardest part about visiting the children at the orphanages. They are all quick to ask/tell you “take me”:


Here are a couple photos of the front of the boarding school.



THE BIG QUESTION:
I think the question we were asked the most about adopting Tanya and Luba over the last nine months was, “are you going to change their names”. We always said that it would be up to the girls as they are old enough to make the decision of whether they want a new name. We had L help explain to them how our name system works in America; First, Middle, Last Name. We told them that they did not have to pick a new name and that they wouldn’t even have to think of a middle name if they didn’t want to.

Well it took Luba all of a few seconds before she shouted out an American name that she wanted! Tanya was quick to follow with the name she liked. So – we will share with everyone their new names after our court hearing!

Tomorrow (Monday) we will not be able to see the girls since we have to be in Donetsk City to get some paperwork done, so the next time we post will be after our court hearing on Tuesday!

11 comments:

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

I can tell your girls love you already! It's wonderful that this family will be together forever. I pray that court goes smoothly and that your 10 doesn't wear you out.

Zack, Jenn and William said...

I can't wait to read that court was a quick & easy success, and I'm anxious to find out the girls' names.

Glad things are continuing to go well for all four of you!

Mauzy Fam said...

That's cool that you got to see both girls groups. I'm excited to hear their new names! What an exciting time for you guys.

Kim said...

This is SOO exciting! I love reading about your days and hearing all about your adventure! Thanks for keeping everyone posted!

Kelly said...

I just read more posts on your blog and once again want to say God bless you, that you returned to adopt your son's sisters. I know Mariupol internat all too well, and work doing aid with another internat - between that and what I know from my son who is 16.5 and lived in an internat and then in a dorm after that, I can tell you that you are saving these beautiful girls from an absolutely wretched future. Being beautiful is not a gift to girls coming from an internat, and being in your home they will be safe, loved, educated and escape what would have awaited them. My heart is so happy to know this, that two more children will get out of Mariupol.

Melissa E. said...

How fun! I think I would have loved to pick out a new name at that age too!

Looking forward to hearing about court!

adopting2fromUkraine said...

Hi,

It's been a while since I've visited your blog. We were in Ukraine around the time you left for home with Kyle. I knew from reading previous posts that you were going to adopt his sisters but I never put it together until today, when I visited your blog and read old posts, that they were the same girls that Heidi and Felix were hosting. It is amazing how God orchestrated that!

June

Jordan said...

I can't wait to hear what names they have picked out!!

junglemama said...

What great pictures. Thanks for taking us inside. Your girls are beautiful!

Anonymous said...

Hello you two! Thanks for sharing your experience (you post so many pictures and info, thank you)...I am enjoying following your progress...Glad everything is moving right along...The girls look very happy with you in the pictures...

Malissa

Snort said...

Holy hannah, you guys have got a lot going on! We're so excited to meet your girls!