Hey there folks! After what seemed to be many hours of sitting on a plane, we are finally here. I just have to say that I am officially confused on the time difference and day vs night...it is going to take a while to get used to this! Our travels went rather smooth considering other stories I have heard. Our flight out of Phoenix was probably the most troublesome (and it wasn't even that bad!). Only one (out of the four) of our suitcases was overweight by five pounds. Instead of trying to repack, we just a paid a little extra fee and we were off! We boarded the plane on-time which was great until we started to move out on to the runway and our plane completely shut off!! Apparently the auxillary power systems broke down....I thought they were going to make us switch planes, but no they just left us sitting there without air while they did the legal paperwork to let us take off. Once they were done the plane started just fine and we were finally in the air! Luckily we were on time for both connections.
It was nice to see Amsterdam (from the plane!). There are a lot of farm lands, all very green. We ran from one plane to the other so there wasn't much time to experience even the airport! It looked nice, from what we could see! Lots of fun shops! Then it was off to Kiev. I could not see the ground in Kiev from the plane until right before we landed. There were SO many clouds and snow everywhere! I thought we would be pulling into a normal "airport gate", but no, they just parked the plane out on the runway area and we hopped off and took a shuttle to the main bldg! Things are just done a little different around here!
After checking through customs we met our Facilitator's husband. He is very nice, and I was so excited to see my name on a piece of paper that he was holding! I worried that we wouldn't find anyone and then we would be on our own! He took us to the grocery store so that we could buy some food to last us a few days until we travel to a region. There we met our Facilitator. She is very sweet and they both helped us shop for what we asked for. There is no way we would have been able to do it on our own!
Both then drove us to our apartment. This was an experience....it took a while because the traffic here is apparently horrible ALL the time! The lanes and signs here do not mean a thing! Everyone was all over the roads, heading whatever direction they could squeeze their cars into (even if it is what we would consider the wrong side of the road!). We made it safely to our place without a dent to the van! Here are a couple pictures of our apartment that we will be in for a few days.
We will post more tomorrow!
PS: For those of you that are getting ready and packing for Ukraine, I highly recommend getting Flight Ear Plugs. It helps to relieve air pressure and discomfort. Last time I flew long distance, I thought my head was going to explode. I wore them just through the ascending/descending parts and I had absolutely no problems on this trip. They also make them for children which you may want to buy. We had a little 3 year old in the seat in front of us, and he cried the whole way over because his ears hurt. I bought a set for our child hoping it will help....I would really hate to have our child go through what that little 3 year old did for 8 hours!
19 comments:
Oh my- it's freezing there! We're praying for you!
I'm glad you made it there safe and sound! Your apartment looks nice. Can't wait to hear about the whole SDA appointment. :)
So glad you made it there...despite the plane problems. The traffic sounds just like what we experienced in Russia - absolutely crazy. What I'm really looking forward to in Ukraine is the train ride! ;) We'll look into the ear plug - thanks for the tip.
Glad you made it safe and sound! I feel bad for the three-year-old!
It is 28 degrees as I am looking at the temps. Brrrr! We moved out of Ny to escape that. I can't believe we are going to be spending a month-plus freezing our hineys off!
Good luck at your appointment.
Yeah! You're there!!! I'm so excited for you and can't wait to hear about the SDA appointment. Stay warm! Praying for the both of you!
It's so great to hear you made it through all the connections!
Thanks for the ear plug tip and good luck at your SDA appointment!
Wow Sis, looks like you made it ok. I was worried and thought of you all day yesterday! I love you guys and am so excited for you. Good luck!
Glad to hear you guys made it here safely! We totally agree with you about the Kiev traffic and craziness on the roads. It is always an adventure! We would love to hook up with you sometime, maybe for lunch in Kiev. We will be praying for your process!
The Claycamps
So glad you made it! I will have to let everyone know. I think everyone asked me today if i had heard from you yet! Your apartment doesnt look so bad! I dont know why you were so worried! Cant wait to see the next post! :-)
Glad you made it...kinda wish we were with you!
Glad to hear you arrived safely. Hope to see you guys soon!!! Luda can give you our cell number - give us a call!
So glad you made it safely, even though the ride through Kiev sounded a bit crazy. Apparently that's what we all need to prepare for while there.
Great tip on the ear plugs. I'll add them to my list today.
Keeping you in my prayers as you get ready for your appointment.
How exciting!! We're closely following your blog - best of luck at the SDA appointment! Many prayers are heading your way. Thanks for the tip about the ear plugs - we're making our last shopping trip this weekend before our flight on Thursday.
Glad to hear you made it safe and sound! As others have said, thank you for the tip about ear plugs. Looking forward to hearing about your SDA appt!
We're happy to hear you arrived there safe and sound, especially with the crazy driving. Doesn't sound much different then driving with Ken any other time:-)
We are keeping you in our prayers, good luck with the hunt.
Love, Christopher and Michelle
Congratulations on making it across the pond. Boy the temp has sure changed since we were there last month. Keep the pictures and the story coming. It is great! God Bless.
I'm so glad you made it safely. It's hard to believe that it is actually that cold there when it is still too warm here. I hope you are both doing great. PS, I went by your house and everything looks great. Take care. You're in our prayers :)
Hey Ken and Joy, we are very excited for the both of you. We wish you the very best.
Kenny and Jamie
Oh I'm so glad you guys made it! We're thinking about you and praying for your safe return with your little one! Can't wait to hear more...!!!!
Post a Comment