Hello! This is the start of our family blog. Both Ken and myself are soooo excited to FINALLY be approved for adoption. Not just any adoption, but for an international adoption. We just can't do anything simple!
We will be leaving for Ukraine (Eastern Europe, next to Russia) on November 12th 2007. Wow! What an adenture....we will be there anywhere from 4-8 weeks. Once we return to the States, our adoption will be completely done!
Just to give you a little background of the Rae's. We have been married for almost 7 years now. We do not have any children (at this point!), but have had fun with it being just the two of us. Ken was diagnosed with Non-Hodgkin's Lymphoma about 2 1/2 years ago. We are finally done battling that nasty "stuff" and are ready for the next phase of our lives....kids! We are not able to have children of our own because of all the Chemo-therapy, so we have decided to adopt. Ukraine came to mind as it is an adoption we could do on our own...no agency involved so a lot cheaper and we get to travel!!
There are so many children needing homes in Ukraine and we have actually met many families that have adopted from there. After much research, we were finally able to start the paper work. We connected with an independent facilitator in Ukraine. Her name is Lyuda and we have heard nothing but FANTASTIC things about her. She will be with us from the time get off the plane in Kiev, Ukraine.
The great thing about adopting from Ukraine is that you get to meet many children and are able pick the child (or children) that we feel we connect with best. What a great experience yet also very difficult. It is going to be very hard to only be able to take one home with us.
I have created this blog so that all our friends and family can be updated on our adoption adventure. We will not be able to call much as it is really expensive, so this was the alternative! We will journal every step of the way so that everyone will know what is going on....I'll be sure to post lots of pictures too!
More to come as we prepare to leave!
Thursday, October 18, 2007
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
9 comments:
Hey! This is exciting to watch! Please keep all of us posted here, and good luck! We're looking forward to our 7th (or 8th) grandchild!!
WOW Joy! I'm soooooo excited for you! What a journey...what a blessing! I can't wait to read about all your precious expierances. How wonderful of you to share it with us! I hope everything goes well for you and Ken and you find your perfect little match.
Hi Joy! Thanks for the comment on my blog--do you mind if I add you to my adoption blog list on the left of my blog? I'm not sure we'll get a chance to meet up in UA, but we'll have to keep track of where we all are so if we have the opportunity we can jump on it! :) :)
I am so happy for you both!! What a huge relief and excitement for you! I am so thrilled with your blog! Thank you for inviting everyone with you as you adopt! You both are so awesome!! I love you! Tami :)
I'm so happy for you! Can't wait to read about your journey - I hope we'll meet in Ukraine!
Hi there, just wanted to congratulate you on your travel date. You have an adventure ahead of you. If you have some time on your hands, jump back to our September blogs and take a read, it should get you kinda up to date on the process and what to expect. It is a roller coaster ride for sure. Hope you like the shakiness of the wooden ones, but the twist and turns of the metal coasters cause this trip has it all that you are on. Lord Bless.
Hey, Kenner! Hey, Joy! Memorize these for now (don't spell-check... they're phonetic):
1. "Ya nyehmnoga panimahyo pahRooskee ee ya gahvahryetsa pahRooskee nyoshiharasho."
2. "Ya nyehpanimahyo."
3. "Ya Ahmerikanetz (Ken) /Ahmerikanka (Joy)."
Use 1 to impress chicks (heh, heh... just kidding) and 2 and 3 for pretty much everything else. I'll try to figure out how to say, "Where is the bathroom and does it have toilet paper" and "I cannot drink this glass of water because I cannot see through it" later. Ha, ha, ha! That's awesome that you're gettin' a kid! I'll check out this blog but email pics and stuff too. And bring me back a present (beer) from the Ukraine! Ha, ha, ha! Thanks for sending me the link and I promise not to post anything ever again. Ha, ha, ha! Take 'er easy!
- Action Jackson
Welcome to the blogging world! I found you over on Leslie's site. Congratulations on your travel date! Our appointment is Dec. 5th...maybe we'll see you there!
Ken and Joy,
We are so excited for this great thing to take place. I watched the video and it really inspired me to consider adopting in Ukraine. Our prayers are with you on your adventure, health and finding the right young spirit to bring your way. We love you,
Seth and Kerri Grasteit
Post a Comment