Tuesday, April 15, 2008

An Opportunity

Well, we have decided that we just can't stay away from Ukraine, so we are going again! No really, we have come to love this country and now we have even more of a reason too. We have decided to adopt Kyle's two sisters. Here's the short version of the story:

When we were presented Kyle's file, we were also told about his two sisters. They are quite a bit older, and were located at a boarding school in Mariupol (same town where Kyle was). We new that we were not ready to adopt 3 kids at that time, especially teenagers! I was already nervous enough (in a good way)about becoming a first time mother to an instant 3 year old.

We have had almost 5 wonderful months at home with Kyle, and feel that we are ready to add to our family. Kyle's sisters are 13 (Tanya) and 10 (Luba) years of age and are just the cutest girls ever! We are extremely excited about reuniting this family. Kyle is too young to remember that he has sisters, but they remember him quite well and are very excited themselves. This will make for a good story when Kyle is old enough to understand! Fortunately, we are able to keep in touch with the girls by sending them packages containing letters, gifts, and lots of pictures.

We know that this is not an easy thing going from just 2 of us, to 5 of us within a years time. We are going into this with realistic expectations knowing that we will have hard times along with the good. I am sure that there are things we cannot even comprehend at this point, because we do not personally know these girls yet. But, the idea of us putting this family back together is our number one priority and we couldn't be happier about doing it! We know that this was meant to be for us, and this is the way God planned us to have a family.

It is exciting to know that we are helping two older children in Ukraine by providing them with an opportunity and a chance at a good life. Most children in Ukraine "graduate" the Orphan system at the young age of 16 and most have nowhere to go but the streets. This is sad, and I think it is great that there are so many families turning to Ukraine, and many other countries (including the US) for adoption.

I just want to thank all of the "adoption bloggers" that I have contacted over the past few months asking so MANY questions. You are all wonderful, and most helpful in opening our eyes to the things you have learned and experienced in adopting older kids. We know that this not just an opportunity for the girls, but an opportunity for us and are excited about sharing our journey with everyone.

20 comments:

molly said...

I am so excited for you guys. I think this is just amazing and such a wonderful opportunity for them and you. Heavenly Father will bless you and your family as you set out in this next step. My prayers are with you guys, let me know if I can help!

Kim said...

That is SO amazing! You are wonderful people to do what you're doing. Jill had already told me about this opportunity for you guys so I was just waiting to find out more! Good luck with everything, I know you'll make a world of difference to these cute kids by making them part of your family! Good luck I'm so happy for you!

Zack, Jenn and William said...

I'm super excited that you guys are going to bring the girls home! Know that we are praying for you, and praising God for this opportunity to further expand your family.

Melissa E. said...

Wow! I look forward to hearing your story unfold!

Snort said...

This is so wonderful! How great it must be to reunite a family! You guys are in our prayers.

Mauzy Fam said...

Holy Cow! I had no idea this was coming! Congratulations! You guys are so brave and so awesome! When do you leave again? Are the changes (from Ukraine to US) going to be more difficult for older children? I'd love to hear more and can't wait for new posts.

junglemama said...

This is so fantastic! I am so excited for you! I have a 12 year old daughter that is from Ukraine and three 10 year old daughters. You will enjoy this age even when they drive you nuts! :) I can't wait to follow your journey. Have you told Kyle?

Nataliya said...

OMG!!! Congratulations! You'll find it very rewarding to parent older Ukrainian kids!

Stefanie and Bill said...

God is amazing...I am encouraged with your willingness to open your hearts and lives to Kyle's sisters. What an amazing blessing for all.
Stefanie

Leslie said...

I'm willing to bet that those are the luckiest girls in the world. Praying for you as you prepare to go back!

Tami said...

YEA!!! I am so excited for you!!! How wonderful it will be to have three of them together again. I can't wait to read about your journey!!! :)

Admin said...

I am so happy to hear that you decided to adopt them!! Wow, what an adventure it will be!!! At least this time you will know what to expect. So, I think that my agency said that you had called them? Are you using an agency or going independent? We should get together again sometime soon to let the kids play. Does Kyle still remember any Ukrainian?

Col.Smeag said...

I hope the best for you guys Joy & Ken & Kyle, Tangie and I have talked about it for so long maybe one day we'll be able to follow in your foot steps.

Dave

Melissa E. said...

Love the new look!

Ashley said...

Yeah! I am so excited for you to have lots of kids! :-)

Lopez-kids said...

That's so great! I think you would really regret it later in life if you didn't do it. What a special thing for Kyle to get to be with his sisters and vice-versa. Don't worry about them being older. I think approaching and going through the teenage years is rough for any parent, whether you have been with them all along or not! ;-) You guys will do great! Hopefully, we can plan a family activity soon so we can get to meet Kyle, Tanya, and Luba!

Ali P. said...

Yeah! Good news all around! Thrilled for you and wish you the best of luck in your coming journey. You'll be in our prayers!

Kathy and Matt said...

WOW! The decision you've made to reunite these children is wonderful!

You'll be in our prayers as you move forward to bring Kyle's sister's to America!

Grasteit Family said...

Joy, Yeah what a blessing it is to bring them together. You and Ken are strong people to take on such a wonderful but challenging job. I believe this will be so rewarding. Kerri

Courtney said...

Hooray! :) :) Congratulations!