Monday, April 14, 2008

Growing Up Kyle


Two posts in a week. This has to be a record for me! We had a fun weekend up in the mountains. I love heading up to the cold country every once in a while. That is what is great about living where we do; everything is desert but one hour North you hit the pines!It was the first time we have gone on an over-nighter with Kyle and he did rather well. He was little scared come bed time...he is so used to his own bed that being in a sleeping bag just didn't cut it! Oh well, we will have to do this more often to get him used to it!



I wanted to post a little about Kyle's progression. He is much more "active" and "busy" compared to even a couple month's ago. I am seeing more personality and creativity from this little guy. He is starting to play "pretend" more which is great! I remember doing this as a child and think that it is important for him to be able to play with his imagination. I have caught him playing in our closet a couple times putting on our shoes and backpacks and walking around like he is heading to school. He even pretends like he talking to someone....weird? He gets embarrassed when we see him "pretending", so we try tell him that it is okay for him to be playing!

He is one defiant little boy, but it makes us laugh sometimes. We try to be very firm in sticking to what he can and can't do, but allow him to make his choices so that he understands there are good and bad consequences for his actions. We feel we have to be firm with everything because from the very beginning, he has tried to test his boundaries! Very understandable coming from where he did! But we always show/tell Kyle that we love him.

This boy is SO loving; he will give us kisses and hugs whenever! Even when we least expect it, he will come over and hang on my leg and kiss it and then look up at me with a big smile! What a cheeser!

On the daycare/school front: His teacher says that there is definite improvement and progression with his social skills. For awhile there he would keep to himself and not interact much with the other kids. I think a lot of this was because he wasn't able to communicate as well....heck, I would be frustrated! But he now calls all the kids by name, and will say hi and bye to them! He is still doing well with his phonics, and is improving on his numbers. One thing we continue to struggle with is sharing and taking turns. I am sure every kid has these issues from time to time, but for Kyle it is the majority of the time!

We pretty much have a routine in the evenings; work outside on the yard for a little while, sit down for family dinner, playtime for a little while, get ready for the next day (bath, clothes, etc), and then we open up a book or two before bed. He loves books, and it really is fun to hear him pointing out objects and speaking English. He continues to amaze us with his eagerness to learn!

Kyle's favorite thing to say to us: "ummmmmmm, NO"! :)

5 comments:

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Sounds like things are really going well. So glad that Kyle is learning and maturing at such a great pace! Thanks for the updates :)

Melissa E. said...

I completely understand the "testing boundaries" thing!! Our littlest does that all the time! Not as much with behavior anymore but still with what he asks for.

I call it "asking for the moon". When he's hungry, he doesn't say, what's for dinner? He says he wants pizza or birthday cake or whatever sounds good that comes to mind! Often his first words in the morning have been to ask for candy or when we will go in the car. In fact, he never asks if we are going to do something he likes; he always only asks when we will be doing it! Just in case!

I am glad Kyle is doing so well and it sounds like he is blossoming! I bet you are having the best time with your little guy!

Ashley said...

Such cute pictures! I love them... He is such a cutie!!!!!

Mauzy Fam said...

He sounds like he's doing great. My Dallin is 3 1/2 years old and sounds like their doing some of the same things. What a sweetie. I love that he loves to kiss and hug, my boys do too.

Rogers said...

Hi Joy! It is so good to hear from you! What a small world indeed. We were just talking about you guys the other day wondering how you all were doing! What a coincidence. Congratulations on your little guy! oh, he is adorable!!! I need to read further on your blog to see the whole story and what else you have been up to. Thanks for writing me! Email me anytime and we'll get together and catch up forsure. Nicolerogers23@gmail.com. My phone gets email so it's the easiest way to get a hold of me. I will email you my # too. Texting & email is best ;-)
Take care hon and write soon!
Nicole